Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First day of 4th grade

My kid is 9 years old, starting the fourth grade.

This is impossible because (sing it with me fellows mamas) I just brought her home from the hospital yesterday.

We walked her to school today, reassuring her that it was going to be fine. She already knows her school. She already knew some of the kids in her class. She already knows her teacher (she had Mrs. Kopp for 2nd grade — we are all big fans of Mrs. Kopp. Hurray for great teachers!).

But the nerves of "something new" (even if it wasn't that new) were getting to her.

As we walked to school, she stopped and said, "Where did the summer go?" I chuckled at the seriousness of her tone and then we talked about all the good things about school.

When we walked up to the school yard, Margaret was immediately engulfed in a crowd of friends and just like that, she was gone.

I yelled, "Have a good day" as she scurried off with her friends, but I don't think she heard me.

And I'm OK with that.

For the most part.

Maybe.

No comments: