Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wee One wants you ...

... to do her bidding.

But, please don't bother her. Can't you see she's resting?

Because sometimes you just gotta lie the hell down on a restaurant banquette and ignore the mom person as much as possible in order to get the mom person's blood pressure pumping so that vein on the side of her head is visible. Because then, and only then, will she get up off her lazy mom ass and get you some chocolate milk.

Despite the fact that she was being willful and disobedient when I snapped this picture, I love it. I know I was frustrated with her when I clicked the shutter of my camera, but the image that was captured is such the epitome of her.

Her gestures and her ability to speak more with her eyebrows and fingertips is both super entertaining and aneurysm-inducingly frustrating.

And for that reason, I consider myself a very lucky person. My kid could be persistently willful, always disobedient, never funny or entertaining. But she's not.

She's sometimes overzealous, sometimes hard-headed, sometimes she can even be mean. But more often, she's kind and compassionate (you haven't lived until a 5-year-old volunteers to rub your back to make you feel better), she's smart and inquisitive and she's (in her words) "her-larious."

And for those reasons, I will do her bidding.

P.S. Last night, I was clipping Wee One's fingernails and toenails into the toilet. After a while, she began to bid the cast-off clippings farewell. "Enjoy the ride!" she called after a toenail clipping. "Don't think about the sewer. It's pretty gross down there," she advised a fingernail clipping (she knows this to be true because of her fascination with the show Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel).

I'll take the willful any day, so long as the entertaining side of her character comes along, too.

No comments: