Thursday, May 18, 2006

Mother's Day

I called my mom Sunday and told her that in lieu of a gift, I wrote something for her and instructed her to check her e-mail.

Earlier I had sent her the link to the column I wrote about her which ran on Mother's Day in the newspaper and online.

Later that evening, I got a call from her.

I was a bit aprehensive about her reaction to the column. I hoped that she would like it, but feared that she might think I'd aired too much of our laundry, used too much emotion.

My fears were unfounded. She loved the column. Her voice sounded so happy. I only wish I could've been there when she read it.

As I stated in the column, my mom isn't emotion-driven like myself. She's reserved. So I wasn't expecting a tear-filled thank you. But I wasn't expecting the joy that I heard in her voice either.

It was a nice surprise.

After she told me how much she liked the column, she admited, "But I wasn't a good mom. I always had my nose in a book ... ."

I assured her that she was (and still is) a truly great mom. I owe my mom a tremendous debt. She gave (and continues to give) me so much.

I hope I'm half the mom she is.

No comments: