Thursday, May 25, 2006

Surprising myself

Two peas in a pod — Mar and I.
Six down and eight to go ... days, that is, until Bill comes home.

But I'm not counting. (OK, I am, but I'm pretending not to.)

I rely on Bill for so much. I was afraid that I was going to be a total wreck these two weeks. But the reality is that I'm doing fine ... better than fine.

I've always believed that I was not meant to be alone (and I still don't like it). And I believed that I'd never make it as a single parent (and I still don't want to be). But I have learned something in these hectic six days.

I can manage my daughter just fine alone.

I've never considered myself to be a natural mom. One that breezes through the trials and tribulations of parenting with grace. I trip and stumble my way through. But I really love my daughter and I really love being her mom.

When she was first born, I was very hesitant. I depended upon the advice from books and friends and family. I never bathed her alone until she was well over 3 months old (I mean, what if she spurted out of my hands like a bar of soap?).

And I didn't have to ... Bill was always there.

He was always there to help me cope with everything. I never had to do any of it alone (and I like it that way).

This has been a crazy week. Mar graduated from kindergarten, had her last day of school, became a "school ager" at daycare which means no more naps and has proven that she understands I'm alone and is much more willing to help and be amenable to her situation.

She's had to get up earlier in the mornings and some nights she's been going to bed later. Last night I had our dear friend sit for Mar while I was at band practice. Mar actually told her sitter that she was tired and ready for bed.

The house is much cleaner (which proves what I've suspected all along — boys are messy). I've mopped the hardwoods twice already (normally that happens once a month if I'm lucky).

It's been an emotional week for us with all the changes and the missing of the dad/husband. But we've got each other.

I'm proud of us ... two little peas in a pod.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now there's a pic of two of the most beautiful girls God has ever placed on this earth....I am truly a lucky man!! I miss you both madly and can't wait to get home to my girls!

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»