Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Sleep ... who needs it?

in·som·ni·a, n. — Chronic inability to fall asleep or remain asleep for an adequate length of time.

It seems as if there is a required number of sleepy-time hours though which someone in our house must be awake ... or I've caught Bill's insomnia.

It started off slowly. First, I had a hard time getting to sleep. Then I started just not wanting to go to bed at all. So I started cleaning and making DVDs out of our home videos.

But last night was the worst night so far.

Normally I go to bed between 10 and 11. Last night I finally got into my pajamas around 11 and into bed before midnight at which time I began the fish flop.

I would navigate the bed flipping from one side to the other. I have no idea where Bill is going to sleep when he finally gets home Friday as I've created this elaborate Stonehenge of pillows that allows me to flop from spot to spot and always have a pillow handy.

So I flopped around until almost 1 when I last checked the clock. Then it seems I actually fell asleep ... but not for long. Just before 4 a.m., my eyes were checking the clock again and my brian running at full speed. I tried to fish flop back to sleep, but it just wasn't happening.

Then, I got it. I heard the chorus to the song that had been creeping around my synapses for the last couple of weeks.

I've tried to write this song a couple different times, but it never fleshed out the way I was hoping ... until this morning at 4:30 a.m.

So I got up, got my guitar and went to work. By 6 a.m. I had e-mailed my 3-versed song to my bandmates.

I'm not certain that it's a Riveter song. It might just end up a Robin song. But at least it's out of my head.

Maybe I'll able to sleep now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»