Friday, September 08, 2006

It's happened (and I knew it would)

I've become an oxymoronic harpie.

I've become one of those annoying mothers who crusade for the betterment of our children.

I have a cause.

I have problems (like y'all didn't already know that).

Since I've begun my daily exploration of my stepson's MySpace page and the pages of his friends, I keep getting the feeling that I'm the only mom out there who has done so. I mean, how many moms or dads would be all, "Nice placement of the Jagermeister banner next to the giant marijuana leaf adorned with nekkid ladies, son."

It just seems unlikely to me that parents are looking at these pages and giving them the OK.

I didn't and I'm a totally slack-ass mom. I immediately talked to Sean and asked him to reconsider some of the crap he was endorsing.

Since, we've have an ongoing and very fruitful dialogue on the attitudes of teens toward their MySpace pages and on why parents freak out when we see drugs and alcohol glorified on their pages ... damn, there I go again.

And really, who am I to talk? I spend hours on MySpace adding "friends," sending messages and leaving comments.

Of course, I pretend that I'm marketing my band. And I am, but I'm also trying to make up for an extraordinarily pathetic teenage life. I want to be cool. I want to be popular. I want to have lots of friends and I want people to request to be my friend, so I can stand in judgment and decide to approve or not.

So I've begun a campaign against my own vice. But I do so while wearing the "concerned parent" hat, a hat that I've always felt should be relegated to Oscar the Grouch's home than on anyone's head, especially my own.

But two good things have come of all of this:

First, I wrote a column that is going to appear prominently on the opinion page Sunday. (Of course, links will be forthcoming.)

And second, but vastly more important, I have planted the seeds for a relationship with my stepson that is based on trust and mutual understanding.

Or he's just really great at saying the things I want to hear.

Honestly, I don't care which. I feel better. I'm totally in love with my fabulous stepson (not in that way, you sicko) and my ulcer seems to be dormant ... for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember somebody having all over her room a bunch of stolen real estate signs. What kind of parents would let her daughter go out and steal signs and then just let her keep them in her room for all to see as "Trophies"?

They did it because it was harmless fun and it let their uptight angsty daughter explore her wild side without causing them even more loss of sleep over her sometimes bewildering exploits.

Now their son on the other hand would never do anything like stealing or any other crazy bizarre behavior because he didn't have anything to prove. Such an angel he was.

That being said, having naked pics or other so called "unacceptable" pictures on his myspace is really none of your business, as long as he doesn't actually do those things and treats women with respect, even the ones who like posing naked so their picture can be put up all over the 'net.

Then again, don't pay attention to me, I am under the influence of copious amounts of codeine and a lack of no more than 2 hours of continuous sleep for the last month.

Rivetergirl said...

Yeah, since this "roger" guy admits to being under the influence of drugs, we should just disregard all assertions made by him. And assume that he has no inside information on poor rivetergirl, at all.