Monday, January 22, 2007

More on the perpetual pets

Saturday, I posted a rare weekend entry. You should go read it. Then come back here ... that way we'll all be caught up.

OK. Yeah, freeze drying pets. 'the hell?

I'm revisiting this topic because a reader (I have a reader that I'm not related to ... go me!), Amanda suggested that the site I linked to may be a hoax.

Since I've heard of freeze-drying pets before, I thought I'd do some research — namely I asked Mr. Google (he just knows everything). And guess what I found? Over 800,000 hits related to freeze drying animals.

Honestly, I wish it were a hoax because ... this just ain't right.

Check out some of these sites:

Go to Anthony Eddy's Wildlife Studio to get keep Fido ever-vigilant:
Doesn't Fido look like he just saw the mailman and is on the verge of barking bonanza?

Or check out Ed Carbaugh's Taxidermy to keep FiFi in top poodle shape:

Does she just look great? Like she's ready to growl and then bite your nose?

Amazing.

Yeah, amazingly creepy.

I think unless you're willing to stuff and mount Rover's head like an elk trophy, you should just be happy getting your pets creamated and then making a little shrine in your basement complete with pictures of locks of the animal's hair, like the rest of us.

__________________________________________________________________



Click here to read more about Mar's day on the slopes.

3 comments:

Scrumpkin said...

The new link that you posted for that Eddy guy does seem believable. The address is actually listed and their is a corresponding phone #. The photos I feel are believable because the animals are very posed and have a professional background. If you remember the petpreservations site, the animals were laying down, rolling over, outside...and something that struck me as odd was the picture of the parrot. The way his claws were around that stick seemed very life-like, too realistic. They would have to be perhaps pinned on there or like totally glued. No pins visible.

Ok, whatever....

There was just something that struck me as odd with petpreservations.com. I even called the phone number listed and it was a cell phone. The voice was very dreary, ala Ferris Bueller (if you remember the scene w/ Cameron).

Well, I think this is just sick. To love your pet so much and want to have it freeze dried does not make sense to me (a sane person). You are doing something very cruel and unloving by sucking the insides out of an animal and mutilating it's corpse. I can understand, but not accept, that this is done with hunters and their game. They keep the animal in their house as a trophy and there are no emotional connections.

An individual that does this to a family pet is obviously mentally unstable and doesn't not understand the concept/cycle of life. To sit and watch TV w/ a dead, freeze dried family pet is no different than being in a mental institution and having conversations with an inanimate object about situations that do not exist.

Ugh! Gross. Ok, I'm over it.

-Amanda

Oh...and I found your blog in a search regarding Colorado. I have a pending relocation to the Denver area.

Rivetergirl said...

Now, I have to agree, there is something so not right about hanging out with your dead pet. Yes, the life cycle is an imporant concept that must be respected or ... else ... really weird things will start happening, like people carrying their dead pets around with them.

Oh and welcome to Colorado, Amanda!

marija said...

that is so f*ed up.