Monday, January 29, 2007

Ruminations

Friday we were invited to eat and play some dominos with our neighbors. I passed on dinner so I could attend a lecture and gallery opening of sculpture from Zimbabwe.

What I saw blew my mind. I took one look through the gallery and ran home to fetch Margaret and Bill. I couldn't let them pass on the opportunity to see these works.

Margaret objected (that's a euphemism for "acted all pissy") because she wanted to stay and play with her friends, but even my dear, 6 year old was won over by these remarkable sculptures.

I'm trying to find some links that have pictures but am having little success. Here's a link to a page about the sculpture garden that was created to display these works from Zimbabwe.

I've been teaching art appreciation for over five years now and seeing this one show has awakened a renewed interest is the field of study that I've kept on the back burner since I earned my MA 10 years ago.

No comments: