Friday, February 02, 2007

Unexpected

There was a box on our porch yesterday when I got home from work. It was from my mom.

It isn't any one's birthday, so I wasn't expecting anything from my folks. Needless to say, my curiosity was piqued. I only had a couple of minutes until I had to pick up Mar from school, so I opened the box quickly.

It was a lovely surprise.

For Margaret, my mom had sent these items:
This was not the first time I've seen these things, as they used to mine when I was Margaret's age. I used to carry that box full of Hello Kitty items back and forth to school everyday.

I remember the statuette claiming I was the "World's Greatest Student" sitting on the shelf in my perpetually messy room. I remember losing the pin to the hinge of my Hello Kitty pencil sharpener and replacing it with a straight pin from sewing box. I remember the thin red tape that used to be dispensed from the tiny tape dispenser. Oh, those fond childhood memories.

It made me think about saving Margaret's toys and loved objects in order to give to her daughter some day. (But if that's going to happen, I'm going to have to get more organized. Doh!)

Also in the box, was a Loki jacket Bill and I gave to my dad last year. Apparently it never fit him right and instead of it living out its days hanging unworn in his closet, they gave it to Bill. He felt guilty about keeping it — but I could tell he was secretly thrilled to have it.

There was also a small box for me with a note disclaiming that I would wear the item as a bracelet or I could use the beads to decorate something else. This is what I found inside that little box:
I've said many times before that my mom knows everything, including just the things to make an otherwise bleak day, one full of delighted smiles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just saying that I LOVE my hand-me-down Loki jacket. Nice score!

April said...

awesome bracelet!!!