Monday, February 19, 2007

What am I going to do?

The weather was gorgeous over the weekend. Margaret and her friend, Kate, played outside all weekend long.

There will still be a few more days of winter left, but spring is definitely on its way to western Colorado. And that fact strikes fear deep into my heart!

See, since Christmas of last year, I have worn one of my six black, cotton, Old Navy turtleneck sweaters to work every day. Every single day in the past two months, I've gotten up and readied myself for work knowing that I would be wearing a black turtleneck sweater.

It might sound lazy or boring or like I'm touched in the head, but I don't care (and I say that without admitting that all of the above might just be true). I love not having to worry about what I'm going to wear to work.

I hate work clothes. I hate spending money on work clothes. I hate getting to work and hating my work clothes.

Because I hate hating stuff, I enacted my ingenious plan. I instituted a Rivetergirl dress code for work. At first I just eliminated any color other than black.

If I had a monochromatic work wardrobe, then everything would match and I would eliminate part of my work-clothes anxiety.

That worked for about two years (yes, I've only been wearing black to work for more than two years now). But then I found that I hated finding new long-sleeved shirts and sweaters to wear in the winter. I also discovered my true and undying love for black, cotton, Old Navy turtleneck sweaters.

So I decided that it really didn't make a difference if I wore different black shirts every day and skipped varied and raced head-long down the aisle toward uniformity.

Now I wear one of my six, black, cotton, Old Navy turtleneck sweaters with a pair of black pants or a black skirt. For a while I was wearing knee-high sock and boots with my skirts, but I've grown tired of that and plus it's getting too warm for layers.

Which leads me back to my clothing conundrum: what am I going to wear when it's finally too warm for black, cotton, Old Navy turtleneck sweaters?

Can I ever find a substitute that I love as much as Old Navy's black, cotton, turtleneck sweaters?

The search is on, my friend. The search is. on.

No comments: