Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I drove my car today

Since coming back from New York, I've been riding my bike everywhere. I love riding my bike and using it as my main mode of transportation has been fun and rewarding.

Oh and it's been sweaty.

When I got to my hair appointment at 10:30 Saturday morning, I was glistening to the point of being downright nasty. My hair stylist didn't seem to take kindly to my eco-friendly glisteningness and toweled me off before she worked her magic on my sopping mop.

Directly from the hair appointment I attended a baby shower where I arrived sweaty and disheveled. It look like I'd come from the car wash not a hair salon.

But I didn't care enough to worry about it. I like riding my bike.

So last night while waiting for my family to finally come home, I decided to enjoy the gorgeous evening and ride around the neighborhood. I would crisscross around our 'hood hoping to catch a glimpse of my family pulling into the driveway.

Just before 8, I was about five blocks from home and the chain on my trusty Electra jumped ship. I tried to get it back on but only succeeded in getting all greasy. I started walking the bike home and realized that walking a bike sucks frozen fish sticks so I tried again to get my chain back on the sprockety things.

And I did it. I fixed my bike and rode it home just as Bill was unloading the last of the luggage (this was not the plan, but an unintended consequence of the chain derailment).

My family is home. As much as I enjoyed my alone time, I'm twice as happy to see them.

I'm so happy to have them home, that I don't even care that I barely got any sleep last night— what with all the arms and legs pummeling me for most of the night (heaven forbid Margaret actually sleep in her bed all night long — really, what is the advantage of sleeping comfortably in a nice cool bed surrounded by all the stuffed animals she could ever want when she can kick and complain and toss and throw elbows into my eye instead).

I almost cried on the way to work this morning when I realized how lucky I am to have my lovely little family home.

No comments: