Friday, June 15, 2007

I'm still stuffed

I ate so well while I was in New York.

Oh mah gawd, the food there is so wonderful. But I guess you have to have wonderful foods so that you won't mind suffering through their brutal winters.

Here in Western Colorado we grow and eat a lot of healthy foods. But that makes sense since a lot of what we have to offer is pretty good weather and some amazing landscape best enjoyed on foot, bike or horse. So healthy food is a must.

In Buffalo, they have some of serious winter weather (and some humid summers), and what could make you feel better about six months of snow?
This might just do the trick ... for those uninitiated folks unfamiliar, this is beef on weck. The roll is called kummelweck or shortened to just weck. And it is most awesome. It's salt and caraway encrusted rolls. Hello yummy bus, I'm getting aboard.

I generally don't eat roast beef, for no good reason other than I'd rather have ham or turkey. But I'd eat beef on weck with horseradish every day if I could. It's the perfect sandwich.

But Buffalo isn't just about beef on weck. It's also about the hot dogs.

Lemme tell you that Oscar Meyer doesn't sell many dogs in Buffalo, because they have Sahlen's and the Wardinski's. Believe me, you haven't had a hot dog until you've had one of these dogs from local Buffalo companies.

While enjoying a foot-long at the famous Louie's, Sean was asked if he wanted some loganberry in his ginger ale. He asked what loganberry was. The guy cooking the dogs, stopped, turned away from the grill and said, "Youse ain't from around here, is ya?"

Yeah, we don't have loganberry soda ... er, I mean pop, either.

And they all call carbonated beverages "pop," actually pronounced "paahp." Here in Colorado we call it "soda."

Despite what this map says, I grew up in California and we called it all "coke," as in "You wanna coke? What kind? I got Pepsi, 7-Up ... ."

Gah, talking about all this food is finally starting to make me hungry again. I wish I could get my hands on some good beef on weck right now.

No comments: