Monday, June 19, 2006

Camping recap

Yes, camping. Oh how I love it.

Friday saw me following my dear friends, the Flenards (aka Rob and Tracee) up to one of the 400 lakes that live on top of Grand Mesa (which is, by the way, the largest flat-top mountain in the world ... in case you were wondering) where Bill, the kids and Ronnie were awaiting our arrival (Ronnie is Sean's camping buddy — whenever those two are together, there is a lot of giggling).

But before we could get on the road, I had to get gas ... and then I had to pee one last time ... and while I was in the convenience store, I decided to pick up some BBQ sunflower seeds and an iced tea. While I was frantically looking for a snack, I thought to myself, "I hate it when I have to wait around for people to do dumb shit like buy snacks."

Yeah, I hate people like me. (It explains so much doesn't it.)

I had Tracee document this moment of me bonding with the gas pump for a number of really uninteresting reasons but because it's my blog and I can type whatever I want, here goes:

1. It's a new fancy pump and my shirt matched it.

2. We bought that little, red SUV from our friends like ... I dunno, a year ago or something and this is the first time I ever put gas in it. It took me a minute to figure out how to get the gas door open. So you can insert a "Ta Daaaah!" caption for this picture.

Here's the reservoir where we camped. It was very cute yet picturesque in its tiny-ness.
The pink hat was essential in that Mar spent most of Friday evening gathering pinecones (that's what's in the bag she's holding) and she was easy to see amongst the rest of the foresty stuff in which she was rooting around for the bounty of pinecones necessary to fuel a weekend of burnin' stuff.

Supposedly, there are fish in this reservoir and if it hadn't been for the glimpse of a beautiful, red cutthroat trout Randy had hooked for a moment, we wouldn't have believed it. No one caught anything the whole weekend.
But that didn't stop them from trying. That's Rob and Mar trying to land the big one.

Here's a picture of me that I took. Yeah, I wear that hat all summer long. You can find me at the pool, camping or even painting the house (like that's gonna happen) in this hat.

Now, see these bottles? Notice how flat and melty they are? We totally made them that way by using the patented Tracee Clinton Flenard's patented method for making bottles all melty 'n' stuff.
It's a secret process but I'll share it with you.

You place an empty bottle on the outside of a ring of fire (let's all sing, "Ring of fire.") for a good long time while the bottle heats up. Then you move the bottle to the inside of the ring of fire and leave it for a good long time.

It's good to have lots of company sitting with you around the fire and if you drink beer in bottles, you can have more bottles to make all melty using the patented Tracee Clinton Flenard's patented method for making bottles all melty 'n' stuff. Yeah, and it totally makes the "leaving it a good long time" part go faster.

Then you move the bottle directly into the fire coals and leave it for a good long time.

If you have a hot enough fire, the bottles will get all melty and fun to poke with sticks.

Poking melty bottles with sticks rocks.

That, my dear reader, is the patented Tracee Clinton Flenard patented method for making bottles all melty 'n' stuff.

Here's Mar, sitting by the fire waiting a good long time to poke a melty bottle ... and eating a hot dog. Lookit her little ear sticking out of her hat. Fer cute.
K. Here's me doing what I do best — lying down.
I'm pretty sure that I was once an ancient Roman, as I prefer to be lying down ... always. I will always pick to lie down over sit up. I even got this cot for making the lying down that much easier.

The hazard to lying down is that if I fall asleep then I become the game board for Human Jenga.

Human Jenga is a game my twisted friends invented in order to humiliate those who fall asleep while still in a public place (i.e., not your own bed).

The rules are:

When a person falls asleep, others take turns placing any sort of object on the sleeping person.

The objects may not hurt, maim or scar the sleeping person in any way.

The game continues until the sleeping person is no longer asleep.

Yeah, so that's what we like to do while camping. Oh and burn stuff, did I mention that?

No comments: