Friday, June 09, 2006

In The Spotlight

It was July 2004, my father-in-law and late brother-in-law were visiting while on their way to California to strike it rich mining for gold (really, I'm not making this up).

On their last night before they headed out, we finagled a deal that left my father-in-law watching Margaret and Bill and I taking Marl to meet Johnny and Bridgett at a club downtown, the Spotlight Lounge.

A local band was playing. That band was Wheel.
Opening for them was a beautiful and talented Kelly Raymond — her fans now know her as KP or Kelly Pants, lead singer for Riveter.

After Wheel's kick-ass set, Bridgett and I approached the booking guy, James and made a pitch for him to book our fledgling girl band, Riveter.

Bridgett presented a professional face for our band that as of then had played three backyard parties and that's it. I, on the other hand, tried to be witty and entertaining.

I'm not sure that I succeeded, but James agreed to let us open for a band that was traveling through from New Orleans, Saaraba, the next Friday.

Our big break! Our first nightclub show.

We had 8 songs then — all of them covers but two, "Ham Pants" and "Something that you're not."

We were nervous and excited.

We promoted the show extensively and asked all our friends to come out to see us.

The room was packed and then it was time to start.

We stepped on stage and were introduced. Then it started.

I was so nervous my hands were shaking, but I kept telling myself that this is what it was all about, this was why we practiced as much as we did, this was why I was in a band.

It was exhilarating.

The crowd was generous and I loved it.

Tomorrow night, we're returning to the Spotlight Lounge. Not only are we headlining, but we're not even having an opening band. We're playing the whole night ourselves.

We've got 35 songs, half of which are originals. We'll be playing a bunch of newer music, a brand-new cover sang by Laurena (who was born sing punk rock) and a new KP original that kicks ass.

I can't wait. It's going to be a good time.

1 comment:

Pioneer Woman said...

Wow! A real, live Rock & Roll goddess! Good luck to you gals.