Monday, October 09, 2006

Postcard from the edge

Upon returning from our Saturday errands, I gathered the mail from the mailbox.

Margaret asked, "Who's the mail for?"

I glanced through the pile, knowing that there was little chance of her recieving anything.

I was wrong. Stuck in between a bill and an advertisement was a postcard with an aligator basking in the Florida Everglades on the front, addressed to Midge.

I excitedly waved the card at Mar and said, "Look who got a postcard. Let's read it."

Margaret greedily snatched the card from my hand and sat on the sofa next to me.

She began to read the card:
Dear Midge-
How's life? I am still as disorganized as ever, and not entirely sure I like my job.
I had a bad experience today. I wanted to impress a rabbi w/my knowledge of Jewish words & said putz. I just looked it up & it means penis. No wonder he looked so surprised. I miss u!
Love, Emily
Margaret found the whole thing to be absolutely delightful and laughed about reading the word "penis" for a good long time.

Not many adults will write such a marginally inappropriate postcard to a 6-year-old, but that is precisely why we love Emily so much and also why we miss her so much.

The great thing about having a great friend move to Florida is that now we have a great visit to her there.

3 comments:

marija said...

this emily character sounds very cool. definately worth a trip to florida.

Rivetergirl said...

She's so cool, I'd even go to Des Moines or Boise to visit her!

marija said...

now that's saying a lot.