Tuesday, April 07, 2009

To my husband

Today is our 9th wedding anniversary.

I know that there's nothing overtly special about the 9th wedding anniversary. I mean the traditional gifts are willow and pottery — a far cry from platinum and diamonds.

But there's something about this anniversary that is special for me and it has nothing to do with the number of years we've been together.

Instead, this anniversary means more to me, simply because you mean more to me than ever before — I didn't really think that was possible.

You've proven that despite all my issues, frailties and idiosyncrasies that you love me and want to be with me.

That was never clearer to me than several weeks ago when I got kicked out of the Quincy for being too drunk and acting too badly and then proceeded to make the walk home with our bikes a living hell.

I broke my camera, lost my scarf, dented the hell out of my bike and bruised the hell out of my knees. Then I got sick all over the house and was a general pain in the ass.

The next morning when I was sicker than I'd ever been before, you took care of me ... and cleaned up after me.

I thanked you for helping me home. You responded without hesitation.

"I'll always be there to get you home."

That's what you said. And though I continued to puke my guts out, at that moment I had an epiphany.

You aren't going to tire of me, have enough of me or ever stop loving me despite all the reasons I give you.

I think for all these years that one day you were going to wake up and say you'd had enough.

And I wouldn't have blamed you.

I'll never know why you love me the way you do, but I am so very, very thankful that you do. And I will never question that love ever again. I don't have to.

My love for you grows every day and it is wonderful.

I don't know that I will ever feel that I truly deserve you, but I know that you think you do and that works great for me.

Thank you for loving me all these years.

I can't wait for the next 9, 18, 29 years to come.

Your loving wife,
-robin

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That has to be the most beautiful message I have ever received. I love you and I love our life together. You are my girl and I too, love you more today than ever. I will always be there for you- let you watch the shows you want to see- even let you hold the remote- I wanna grow old with you! This is our great adventure and I love going through it all with you, my lover, my wife, my best friend......B

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Love you guys!

-Tracee

Mark said...

Awwwww. [:o)

Ladybug650 said...

I'm teary eyed...

Cari said...

So, is it the 7th or the 9th? The Sentinel says...
you guys are so sick cute and wonderful. Pure jealousy here.

Rivetergirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rivetergirl said...

Cari, it was our 9th anniversary. I see where I have it screwed up on the Haute Mamas site. I'm going to fix it. Doh!