Friday, March 17, 2006

Out of the mouths of babes

Here is my kid with Maisy.

Maisy is a giant rat. Maisy has her own TV show.

Some sad soul has written books about this giant rat and her equally obsequious pals.

A big-box bookstore here in town had story time featuring Maisy.
The unfortunate bookstore employee who is giant-rat size had to don this undoubtedly smelly and hot rat costume and stand in front of the group of kids while someone else read the nail biting: We came to the bookstore just so Mar could participate in story time.

As soon as the woman held up the book with the bath tub on the cover, I felt that sinking feeling in my stomach.

See, about a year and a half ago we had to take Mar to the doctor because she was crying whenever she peed. She said it felt like her pee was hot.

Turns out that my doctors have been trying, unsuccessfully, for years to get children's bubble bath taken off the market. Apparently it's very irritating to the hoo-hoo dilly and can cause the phenomenon known in our house as hot pee.

When I saw the book was about bath time, I knew there could be trouble.

So, story time began and the reader was asking the children questions and getting them engaged in the story telling process.

She made the unfortunate mistake of asking what would seem to be the innocent question of, "Who likes to take baths?'

Mar's hand shot up. I cringed.

She shouted out, loud and clear, "I don't take baths anymore because it gives me hot pee."

Yep, that's my kid.

3 comments:

This suzy said...

I was just trolling through blogs and came across yours. I thought I'd say hi and that I had some giggles while reading. I hope you don't mind if I wander back to read more sometime! :)

Suzy

Tanuki said...

Oh man...Weeone said that? That girl slays me! I'm sure it was a great end to your day.

Rivetergirl said...

Yeah, it was totally funny. My mom made me tell her about it over and over and then she had a giggle fit. It rocked.