Friday, February 03, 2006

The horror

Before I begin today's entry, I want to take a moment to brag a bit. (I know ... that never happens.) Yesterday, as I walked up to Wee One's kindergarten, I noticed it immediately. Her 100 days poster was displayed in the front window along with one other student's.

When I pointed it out to Wee One, she was nonchalant. I, on the other hand, was beaming!


Now here's something I hope you really like:

About a week ago, Uber-husband took Wee One to the dentist. She had been complaining that there was something behind her lower, front teeth that was bugging her.

Upon examination, we discovered that there was something behind her lower, front teeth bugging her — more teeth. Like a shark, our darling little mako had her adult teeth growing in behind her baby ones.

I got that same sinking feeling that I had when I found out that she had two cavities last year. I knew that it couldn't be good.

A call to her pediatric dentist assuaged our immediate fears by telling us that they get at least three calls a day asking about adult teeth coming in behind baby teeth.

But the dentist wanted to see her sooner than later.

After a complete examination, she was found to have no problems ... except the for the shark teeth, of course.

The dentist said that if the baby teeth didn't loosen up quickly, they'd have to pull 'em. And they scheduled an appointment to do just that for next week.

The thought of her not getting the experience of her first loose tooth is very sad. Instead of getting to experience the sensation of being able to push her tooth around with her tongue, she's gonna get to experience a shot of Novocain and pliers.

We've been encouraging her to wiggle those teeth and I give 'em a good yank whenever I can trick her into opening her mouth, but they are not budging.

So, next week, she's gonna have them pulled. She doesn't know this yet. We didn't figure that she would look forward to such an event, so we'll let the dentist tell her (we're chicken, I know.)

But because she had a good check up, she got a gift certificate for a free meal at Red Robin. We took her there a couple of nights ago (instead of going to yoga. I mean eating at Red Robin is very similar to doing yoga, right?).

Here's a picture of Wee One and Uber-husband at the restaurant. Notice Wee One's body language.

She's smiling, but there's worry behind those eyes.

What might cause this reaction?

*


*


*


*


This did.

We were trying to get her to take a picture with the Red Robin robin, but she wasn't having it.




She acted like we were trying to send her home with this guy:


*



*


*


*


*


2 comments:

Tanuki said...

The look on that dude's face is great. It's like "Whaaaat? AGAIN with the alien face-hugger bursting from my skull? That happened like a week ago already. If I knew that this is what would happen when my kids sent me to "assisted living", I'da stabbed myself in the neck!"

Ah...the joys of Photoshop.

Tanuki said...

BTW life-sized costumed characters scared the bejeebus outta me when I was her age, too. One of my very first memories is screaming in my stroller at Goofy at Disney Land(tm) when I was 2 & 1/2. I think they appeal more to adults than to the chilluns I've known, which is admittedly very few.