Thursday, February 09, 2006

Tooth Fairy take note

I work for the only significant newspaper in the Grand Valley. The paper has a decidedly right-leaning editorial position (in my opinion of course — we get letters all the time telling us that we're too liberal ... ha!).

Most of my friends are liberal, some are very liberal.

I've been asked before how I could work for this newspaper. This frustrates me to no end because I feel very lucky to have my job for so many reasons.

My experience this morning solidified my love for this job.

This morning, Bill and I took this pouty face to the dentist to get two baby teeth pulled.

She didn't know that is why she was going. She knew that her adult teeth coming in back of her baby teeth was a problem and we had suggested that the dentist may have to "help" those baby teeth come out, but never flat out told her what was going to happen.

We did the right thing (phew!). She was in and out of the chair in about 15 minutes sans two lower baby teeth.

Other than being a little loopy from the nitrous and having a big "gum" lip (she always mispronounces numb by saying gum). She was fine.

Instead of taking her to kindergarten, I took her to work with me for the morning.

At my work, she was a celebrity.

She showed off the bloody holes in her lower jaw and brandished the tiny, pink treasure chest that held her pearly baby teeth like it was full of diamonds.

Everyone was eager to look in her mouth and comment on what a brave girl she was.

She ate up the attention like it was chocolate-covered chocolate.

By the time we were ready to leave for lunch and then on to daycare, Mar told me that going to the dentist was "fun" and she looked forward to going back.

Yes, the procedure was quick and relatively pain-free (she still doesn't know that she had a shot to "gum" up her teeth), but I doubt that she would have been so enthusiastic about her experience without all the love and support she got from my co-workers.

I am very lucky, indeed.

(I've posted a whole bunch more pictures of Mar's dental experience here.)

No comments: