Friday, February 24, 2006

I'm buying a lottery ticket

After suffering through a week notably marked by my own incompetence, today the tide seems to be changing (knock on wood).

I woke up with a pretty serious migraine this morning and I started to panic. Not because I had a migraine — I'm plagued by this horrific malady — but because I knew that I was out of the pills I take for migraines.

It's really stupid of me to run out, but stupid is as stupid does, yo.

I began running through my options; they were all pretty sucky:

I could've waited until my doctor's office opened and had him call in a prescription to a local pharmacy. This doesn't seem like a bad idea until you realize that each pill costs $17 and they only come in boxes of 12. Yeah, $204 for 12 pills. (I normally get my pills through a mail pharmacy. I get four boxes for $30. It's a good deal.)

Or I could've asked my doctor to give me a shot of Imitrex. (I've had prescriptions for these injections before, but at $100 a pop and you have to get two at a time, it's just not affordable.) But the shots really knock me out.

Or I could just try to muster without medication. This is a really dangerous idea for me. If I get a bad migraine and don't treat it soon enough, I become a vomit volcano. Every time I've started puking, I end up in the emergency room.

So out of desperation, I began rifling through our cupboards, hoping beyond hope that there would be one pill somewhere.

And there was. One pill tucked in my purse.

Salvation. I held the blister pack above my head and gave thanks for the miracle that is Relpax.

With the pill duly swallowed and the knowledge that relief was on its way, I began my morning.

When I got to work, I checked our bank accounts and ... ding, ding, ding ... jackpot! We got our tax refunds today. Canna getta "Woo!" So now we can pay for the head for Bill's amp that we ordered earlier in the week.

Money rocks. Woo.

And to top off the whole Friday-morning sundae, the snack machine in our break room not only had chocolate chocolate-chip muffins but it gave me back a whole bunch of change. The muffin only cost me 20 cents.

So "Woo" to finding the last migraine pill. "Woo" for the tax refund. And a great big ole, stickin'-it-to-the-vending-machine-man "Woo" for the 20 cent Friday morning muffin.

1 comment:

Tanuki said...

Woo!

Rock the Casbah this weekend!