Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Dopplegangers

This has been a good week (I'm ignoring the fact that I've been plagued with killer migraines since Sunday. It's better if I just pretend like they don't exist otherwise I cry and say, "Why me?" and that's just pathetic).

One of the best things that happened was my dear friend, Big R, came back to work.

She's been out for the last couple of months doing this:I've missed her a lot. She's my cohort in crime while I'm at work. We're often caught not acting right — which is always fun.

But now she's back. Woo!

Yesterday she said that while she was on maternity leave, she and her very cool husband watched a lot of movies. Some of which were the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

During one of these movies she decided that the guy playing the character Boromir* looked like my Uber-husband.

She told me this and I stared at her blankly. I had no idea who she was talking about as I've only seen the first in the trilogy and that one, while beautiful, bored me to tears.

I couldn't stand that big-eyed, bare-footed kid standing around with that ring in his outstretched hand another second. Put the ring in your pocket for pity's sake and get on with it already!

I realize that my opinion is a minority one and that people loved these movies — I mean didn't they win a bunch of awards or something? I was probably on my period when I saw the first one so they are forever tainted in my view as unnecessary for my viewing.

So Richie scrounged up a picture of the dude and e-mailed it to me next to a picture of Bill.

Guess what? She's right. Check it:I see the resemblance. Do you?

*While trying to find a good comparison photo, I learned that the actor who played Boromir is named Sean Bean. When you say Sean Bean, it's just another name, but for some reason when I see Sean Bean written it makes me laugh. It's like Julia Gulia only not because when you say Sean Bean, it's just Sean and Bean.

What? So what if that doesn't make any sense to you? I've had migraines for three days and now I have cramps. Leave me alone with my stupid self.

It's a funny thing to compare how one person looks to someone else. I guess there are only so many types of facial features and only so many combinations of those features so people are bound to look like other people. Oh and there's that whole genetics thing with people looking like their families and stuff.

But, just for the record, I hate being told that I look like someone else.

Apparently I have one of those faces that looks like every other face out there. I've been told that I look like almost every blond actress who ever lived.

And because I'm stupid and for most of my life thought I looked more like Gollum than Michelle Pfeiffer, I would felt that these comparisions ended with an unspoken, "but only fatter/goofier/more herky-jerky."

In an effort to not hate myself so much, I'm making a concerted effort to take what people say as compliment. But it's hard sometimes and I forget.

Fortunately, I have friends who remind me that compliments should be met with a "thank you" instead of an eye roll.

2 comments:

j.sterling said...

holy crap.. you are married to the actor guy!

Tanuki said...

That's right on the money - he does look like Boromir - 'specially in that shot. Awesome!

You look like Cate Blanchette from the same movie! Check it. [;o)