Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Simple

I'm wearing a white shirt today here at work.

Shocking, I know.

I was trying to estimate when the last time I wore an article of clothing to work that wasn't black. This is the first time this year for sure and probably a couple of months before that as well.

So it's probably been six months.

Six months of wearing the same black sweaters, the same black pants and skirts.

I don't want to say it was a rut. Instead it was more of a streamlining tactic to make my life easier.

I hate picking out clothes to wear to work. I'm not good at it. What I hate even more it getting to work wearing something that isn't comfortable or I realize looks like stomped on shit.

So I streamlined. I got a couple of decent fitting pairs of pants, some skirts I really like and about seven sweaters ... some of the sweaters were even duplicates.

I found two Old Navy sweaters that I liked a lot. When they went on clearance (Woo hoo, do I love the clearance rack at Old Navy) I bought two more — in the same color ... black.

I'd even wear them in the same week.

I know ... boring. But it worked for me.

Now the weather is getting nicer and I don't want to wear those sweaters anymore.

I went shopping this weekend to find some new shirts ... I ended up with a new black skirt on the clearance rack at Old Navy for $14.

I put it on this morning with one of my black sweaters and then changed my mind.

I dragged out the ironing board and had my dearest Uber-husband iron one of my white button downs. (Yes, one of the benefits of sweaters is that they don't have to be ironed ... woo! Not that I should complain because Bill is always happy to iron my clothes. He cooks, too. No wonder we've been married for six years!)

So I'm wearing a white shirt today. If you see me today, don't comment on it or I might freak out and run home to change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been in mourning?

Rivetergirl said...

Naw, I'm just lazy and it's not fair that men can wear suits everyday and I have to pick out some stupid outfit to wear (but mostly lazy).