Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Thanks a lot ...

I'm tired today and it's all M. Night Shyamalan's fault.

Well, his fault and the TV people's fault. Every commerical break there is an ad for Shyamalan's new movie, Lady in the Water.

These commericals are scary. I turn the channel. Turning the channel away from whatever Mar is watching is a crime in our house (she's fearful of missing even a second of whatever she happens to be watching — last night she had on Last Comic Standing, but she was reading a book of children's poetry by Robert Louis Stevenson), so she suffers through these commericals and then is completely freaked out at night.

She's been having bad dreams. Two nights ago, she came into our bed and I slept in her bed. Last night Bill went to comfort her and I fell back asleep. A couple hours later, I went to retrieve the man from the single bed stuffed with a bajillion stuffed animals and a little girl.

As soon as I touched his shoulder, Mar murmered, "No" and she clung onto him like he was a life raft and she just jumped off the Titantic.

So I left him there and slept alone.

OK, maybe I'm a bit culpable in that I could prevent her from watching TV in the evenings when these commericals are on, but I don't. I wonder about the damage I'm inflicting on her, but I still let her watch.

I think the problem is that she needs to learn to click back and forth between two channels. Yeah, that's it, she needs to work the TV remote better. That'll fix all our problems.

No comments: