Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Who's with me?


"You don't win friends with salad. You don't win friends with salad. You don't win friends with salad."

That was the chant my darling 6-year-old sang out while she conga-ed around the living room last night.

When she finally found pause from her festive fantango, she cried, "I'm gonna watch some Simpsoms!* Who's with me?"

Who's with her, indeed.

I know there are many parents who don't let their kids watch the Simpsons ... and for good reason, too. But it's just TV, it can't hurt her right (cue sound of anvil falling on my head ... now).

Can I be honest with you? I know I can, dear Internets.

I just love hearing Margaret quoting those subversive TV shows. It gives me delight and makes me feel like an edgy parent.

And really I have to go with being edgy because there's no way in hell I can even pretend to pull off the wholesome parent schtick. I barely manage competent most days.

Really what it boils down to is that quoting the Simpsons is funny. And if you ain't funny, you aren't any use to me

* Yeah, she says the "Simpsoms" instead of the Simpsons. Who are we to tell her otherwise? Yeah, we're her parents, but does that give us the right to correct her ... oh yeah, I guess it does.

2 comments:

Tanuki said...

Unbelievably, Marge is cut out of that scene in the syndicated versions.

I don't think there is much in the Simpson's that is "harmful" to any kid no matter what age. By the time they're able to understand anything racy or really subversive, they are old enough to deal with the truths contained therein. Unless, of course, you wish to forever shelter a child from mild social satire that airs early Sunday evenings - the most racy of all time slots.

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»