Wednesday, November 07, 2007

She's a genius, or maybe an idiot savant

Margaret answered the phone last night and I heard her portion of the ensuing conversation:

Mar: Hello.

Pause.

Mar: Yes, Bob. Here just talk to my mom (said with disgust).

Hands me the phone.

It was my co-worker who had asked for me, then asked if she was indeed Margaret. Apparently asking her this caused disgust in her little 7-year-old brain.

But, the crazy thing was that Bob never identified himself. When I asked her how she knew it was Bob, she rolled her eyes and said, "I recognized his voice."

She'd never talked Bob on the phone before. She's seen him several times over the past six years though. I was surprised that she could recognize his voice on the telephone.

After prodding her some more, she finally stated, "I can tell anyone's voice." And then she proceeded to describe the voice quality of everyone she knew in graphic, mind-numbing detail.

It's those moments I wish I'd kept my mouth shut.

No comments: