Thursday, November 29, 2007

Shhh ...

I had lunch with Bill today. I enjoy seeing Bill during my work day. We talk about what's going on and we can even swear without being reprimanded by our 7-year-old language cop.

While we like to have lunch together on a regular basis, we have to be careful to not mention this to Margaret. We found this out the hard way.

One day I said something to her about a conversation her dad and I had during lunch. Her eyes got wide and she cried, "You had lunch with daddy but not with me?"

Whoops.

Then she asked, "Do you do that a lot?"

Yeah, I was all, "Not really, just when we have boring adult things to talk about." OK, I guess it is true that we do have boring adult things to talk about. And "not really" is a subjective amount of time, so it wasn't a bald-faced lie.

But considering the fact that we work so much, I feel that we should be able to eat lunch out when we want without having to feel the scrutiny of a 7-year-old kid — she disagrees, of course, but we've learned to expect nothing less.

No comments: