Monday, August 21, 2006

School time

It's the first day of school for everyone in our family today.

Last night we got all our respective school gear ready and tried to get to sleep early.

Mar woke up a couple of times and I was restless all night. I kept worrying about Mar forgetting her lunch or Sean getting hijacked on the bus ride home (which is ludicrous in that the kid is so buff he could kick much ass if he needed to).

The alarm seemed especially early this morning as Bill got up to get Sean to his first day of his sophomore year. Three more years of school for him ... what is it with kids and the growing up?

I got up as usual and went to work. I got some of my Monday morning tasks done and came back home so I could walk Mar to her first day of first grade. You can read about that experience here on my Haute Mamas blog.

I tried not to cry and even though I said I didn't in my Haute Mamas post, I did a little while I was sitting here at my desk like some sort of pathetic pollyanna.

Classes start at the college, too.

Bill's got an incredible pile on his plate this semester. He's working with two brand new instructors in his program. He's teaching a math class at night and he's got to begin work on the projects funded by the $450,000 National Science Foundation grant projects they won.

I'm surprised he doesn't have an ulcer. It makes me nauseated just thinking about it.

And I start teaching my class tonight.

I really enjoy teaching this class, but man, it's just another thing filling up my bucket.

I keep thinking that at some point, I'm going to have to cut back on something. But why? So I can have more time watching television?

I think about the people who have one job and wonder how they spend all their time. Then I remember that I used to have one part-time job ... and that's it. No kids, no class to teach, no band. I didn't have hobbies, but I sure as hell watched a hole poop-pot fully of the Gameshow Network.

I need stuff to do even if I whine about having too much stuff to do.

6 comments:

marija said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
marija said...

thought it was your first night of teaching, good luck. Any possibility of getting together tomorrow for a drink or goodbye? cause I will miss you lots...
Now here is a question for all faithful readers of 'the hell blog; at what hour does drinking signify alcoholism, rather than an enthusiastic drinker? I feel like 1 p.m. on a Monday is a definite grey area, but I hate packing and have a new trash novel.... so I opted for a gin and tonic. Which am I? Alcoholic, or trash addicted heavy drinker? I am not particularly enthused by either prospect, but I can tell you which one I prefer.

marija said...

Agh! Nothing is appropriate in polite society, which is why i wish I had some good nights with you (Richie) and Robin to be my trashy unkempt self. On a good note, this trash novel is great. I should be done by 6, so theoretically, I could start packing again. Ha! Like that will ever happen. Richie, I am glad you promise to hate my replacement. I know it is selfish, but I want to be the reporter you all remember most fondly and promise, and follow through, with a visit.
You know, I have owned Emily post since I was eleven. Clearly, it made no impression.

P.S. Why would I drink anything but the hard stuff? I mean, not to sound immature, but isn't that just beating around the proverbial bush?

marija said...

oh yeah, i now love the Superscukers. Although, it can't be helped, you always love the first version better. I wish Robin would record "breaking honey's heart," for my listening enjoyment.

Rivetergirl said...

Thanks Emily. I love that song for so many reasons. Maybe I will record it and send it to you in Florida so you won't forget me when you make friends with the beach bums and social elite.

marija said...

oh Richie, that's adorable, your thinking I would know anyone elite.